Living Life in the DR

Saturday, December 12, 2015

It Feels Different this Year


Pyle Family Update
It Feels Different this Year
As I’m sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt, it’s really hard to believe that it’s December!! It feels a lot more like August! And besides the fact that I have my tree up, it really doesn't feel like Christmas is right around the corner.

 I absolutely love Christmas, and from the first day of December, I’m usually filled with excitement for the season! But this year, instead of feeling joyful, I find myself feeling a little bit depressed.

This Christmas will be a little different. There will be absolutely no chance of snow on Christmas Eve,  no hopes of waking up to a snow covered ground on Christmas Day. There will be no big family gatherings to attend, no loading up the car to spend the day at grandma and grandpa's. There will be no snuggles from my nieces and nephews as we all gather to read the Christmas story and no annual pictures of all the cousins in matching pj's.  As I sit here listening to Michael Bublé singing Let it Snow and I’ll be Home for Christmas (not sure why I'm torturing myself!), I can’t help but tear up a bit.

But as I sit here pining for Christmas’ past, I hear God asking me “Am I enough?" When you strip away everything else about Christmas, "Am I enough?” Wow! That really hit me! I’ve known the truth about Christmas since I could walk but it’s all too easy for that truth to get pushed under the tree and become just a small part of the season. Yes, all the family gatherings, lights, trees and presents are nice and are something to be cherished, but God’s reminding me this year that none of those are what Christmas is truly about! My joy for the season should be found in the baby lying in the manger and nothing else! My main focus should be the birth of a baby, a baby born to set us free and give us eternal life! 

So while Christmas does feel very different this year, and while I will still dearly miss spending it with our families, I'm praising God for the reminder that the greatest thing about Christmas will never change no matter where I am! My joy is dependent not on worldly gifts but on the greatest gift of all - Jesus!
What's Happening with Freedom!
God is good! Freedom has been offered another matching gift! It's our biggest one yet -- $50,000!
$50,000 could become $100,000 if this match is met by January 8th. We plan to finish out the apartment building and begin adding the necessary classrooms to start the 2016-2017 school year. 
Be a part! Click here to give now to the Building Fund by adding "Match It!" to the comment box.



Sunlight Power was here in November and set our apartments up with solar. So thankful for their team and their willingness to serve us!


Our Christmas program is next week! Please pray for us as we share the good news about the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ with these kids and their parents!
Our interns are invaluable! They further the ministry in many ways.
We are looking for both summer and school year long interns for 2016! If you are interested in learning how you could be involved in the lives of others in a meaningful way, click below and send us an email!
Thank you all so much for your continued support! We are truly thankful for each and everyone of you! Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- Galations 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig