Living Life in the DR

Monday, February 4, 2019

Let us not become weary....


Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. ~ Galatians 6:9



I’m not a teacher, but I know from speaking with many of them - and also subbing a few times - that there are days when it seems like we are fighting a losing battle. There are days when it’s not even 9:00 and already there are 15+ names on the board and three to four students standing in the corner. There are days (many actually) when students go straight off the bus to the office! These are the days when discipleship is hard. These are the days that often cause us to become weary and wonder what difference we are making. These are the days that we can often be tempted to throw our hands in the air and say “I quit!”

I’d like to introduce you to Anyeli. Anyeli came to Freedom at the beginning of her first grade year. There’s just something about that beautiful face and sweet smile that melts my heart every time. I’ve told countless people that I’d take her home in a heartbeat if I could! But behind that heart-melting smile is a bit of a stinker. An adorable, little stinker that often finds herself in the corner and even occasionally in the office.

A couple of Saturdays ago, my girls and I took Anyeli and few of their other friends to the beach. Anyeli's mother, Siomara, asked if she could join us. On the way to the beach, I asked her about Anyeli and school. She mentioned that Anyeli had been suspended earlier that week for too many office visits. (oh my weary heart!) But she didn't stop there. She continued to tell me what a difference she has seen in Anyeli's life since she has been at Freedom! She mentioned several times the change that has been so evident in her life!

As I was replaying our conversation in my mind today, it reminded me of this verse.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. ~ Galatians 6:9

While the days may be long, and there may even be days that cause us to wonder what we are doing here, we must not grow weary! Discipleship doesn't happen over night - it’s a process! Anyeli's life is an example to that. There will be tough days - days when Anyeli is suspended for too many office visits - but when we allow ourselves to step back and look at the big picture, we see change being produced in her life. We see growth through the trials and hardships. We are seeing a change in Anyeli’s life!

When we get lost in the day to day trials and hardships, we can feel ourselves becoming weary. But when we allow ourselves to take a step back, when we truly look at what God has done though the lives of our kids and us as well, we are reminded that we will reap a harvest if we do not give up! Join us in praying for our kids! Pray for endurance and perseverance for the teachers. Pray for the discipleship that is going on every day! Discipleship doesn't happen over night. It's a journey.




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig